What follows is a personal request from your Vice Chair. Gary does not know that I am posting it, but I hope that you will agree that is is worth posting.
How fortunate we are to have another great appointment by Governor Abercrombie, this time for Gary Hooser as Director of the Office of Environmental Quality Control. GM 524 (for a term to expire 6/30/11) and GM 526 (for a term to expire 6/30/15) will be heard by the Senate Committee on Energy and Environment this Thursday, March 3, 2011 at 2:45 pm in Conference Room 225. Please submit written testimony in support of Gary Hooser as Director of the OEQC, and testify in person if can.
Persons wishing to testify should submit testimony in one of the following ways by 4:00 p.m. the day prior to the hearing:
· By Email: Testimony may be emailed if less than 5 pages in length, to the Committee at ENETestimony@Capitol.hawaii.gov . Please indicate the measure, date and time of the hearing. Email sent to individual offices or any other Senate office will not be accepted.
· By Web: Testimony may be submitted online if less than 4MB in size, at http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/emailtestimony.
· In person: 1 copy of their testimony to the committee clerk, Room 201, State Capitol.
· By fax: Testimony may be faxed if less than 5 pages in length, to the Senate Sergeant-At-Arms Office at 586-6659 or 1-800-586-6659 (toll free for neighbor islands), at least 24 hours prior to the hearing. When faxing, please indicate to which committee the testimony is being submitted and the date and time of the hearing.
Please note: If you submit your written testimony after 4:00 p.m. the day prior to the hearing, please sign-in at the staff table to testify orally. A copy of your testimony may not be available during the hearing but will be posted online for the public after the hearing.
Why I Support Gary Hooser as Director of the Office of Environmental Quality Control
* I support the appointment of Gary Hooser as Director of the Office of Environmental Quality Control because he has the experience, skills, and proven dedication to environmental protection and the public to be an effective director of this important office.
* I have known Senator Hooser for around 10 years. He is honest, fair, respectful, intelligent, and hard-working. His record on environmental protection is clear, strong, and consistent.
* Senator Hooser served in the State Legislature for 8 years representing Kaua’i and Ni’ihau. He served on the Senate Committee on Energy and Environment the entire time, and as Majority Leader for 4 of those 8 years. He introduced, analyzed, and supported legislation affecting the environment on full-time basis.
* Senator Hooser worked on Hawai’i Revised Statutes Chapter 343 – the state law governing environmental assessments and impact statements, and he is more than familiar with the responsibilities of the OEQC and the Environmental Council. His experience in the Legislature will serve him well at OEQC.
* Senator Hooser also passed legislation to establish impressive renewable energy portfolio standards, increase the use of solar water heaters for new single-family dwellings, protect critically endangered species such as the Hawaiian monk seal, and protect our right to save energy and use clotheslines among countless other environmental protection initiatives.
* Prior to serving in the State Legislature, Senator Hooser served on the Kaua’i County Council for 4 years and as a member of the Council’s committees on energy and environment the entire time.
* Senator Hooser was also in business for 20 years, and he possesses the skills, knowledge, and perspective that come from that experience as well.
* Senator Hooser is accessible, and he is a good listener. His is an open-door policy. He is able to bring people with diverse interests together around common purposes, and he gets things done. The OEQC needs a leader, such as Senator Hooser.
* I am confident that Senator Hooser will approach the responsibility of being Director of the OEQC with 100% commitment to do the absolute best job possible. I look forward to working with him and the OEQC. Please support GM 524 and GM 526 and Senator Hooser.
Mahalo nui loa.